Ipv4 and ipv6 update

Did I understand it right? I must update ipv4 and ipv6 in one request? If I use two requests, one for ipv4, one for ipv6, the latest will win and the other address will be deleted? No other dyndns service handle it this way. Sadly if you do. It is not a big problem, so please don’t feel offended.

I like your idea of a secure dns, best wishes and good luck!

Sam

SamLowry,

your assumption is correct. I could envision though that, let’s say in a request to update your ip6 address, it could be implemented that hardcode ip4=keep just saves the A record from deletion. While this is no a priority for our development, community contributions are always welcome. If you are interested in contributing, I’ll be looking forward to see you on GitHub!

Best,
Nils

Nils,

thanks for your fast (and indeed polite) answer. I appreciate your proposal (ip4=keep), but I could imagine better solutions, in a far, far future…

I took a short look on github and think I found the right place (class DynDNS12Update). But I am skilled neither in python nor in linux. Maybe in rare moments of free time I take a deeper look.

For now it is easier for me to change my powershell script (yes, I have to work with windows).

But please keep in mind to allow to update only ipv4 or ipv6 without deleting the other.

Thanks and best wishes,

Sam

Nils!
WTF. While changing and testing my powershell script I noticed - the far, far future is now!
The bad side - two hours of work for nothing.
The good side - it all works like expected!

Thank you very much!
Tomorrow I will check if your limits for updates is to low. Possible 5 domains by 2 updates results in 10 updates in a short period. I’ll see.

But again, thanks.

Sam

Sam, does that mean that our docs are wrong?

Nils,

to quote you: your assumption is correct. Yesterday during the day something must have changed. I tested it just now and it works. Updated one IP without deleting the other. Nice.

But… Your time limit for updates is too short. I can make one update request and the next try I get “(429) Too Many Requests”. It should be possible to make 10 update requests one directly after the other without errors. If your ISP gives you new addresses you want to update all your domains (like written before, possible 5 domains by 2 updates results in 10 updates in a short period). Then the time period for the next allowed update can be longer.

Yes, I know that is not a priority for your development, but if you have more than one domain you want this.

Sam