Registering multiple domains under dedyn.io with the same account

Hi, I see when registering that we can make a subdomain under your dedyn.io domain. Once registered it doesn’t seem to be a way to add another subdomain under dedyn.io. Is there a limit in place on subdomains?

Hi sudo,

Welcome to deSEC, and thank you for your question!

If I understand you correctly, you already have a dynDNS domain such as example1.dedyn.io, and you would like to add another dynDNS domain such as example2.dedyn.io in the same account.

You can do so using our REST API. Check out our section on Creating a Domain:

curl -X POST https://desec.io/api/v1/domains/ \
    --header "Authorization: Token {token}" \
    --header "Content-Type: application/json" \
    --data '{"name": "example2.dedyn.io"}'

In this command, you need to replace the {token} with the dynDNS “password” you have been using for your existing domain. (The dynDNS “password” is actually an API token.)

If this was not what you meant, please let me know!

Stay secure,
Peter

Thank you for your reply. If I have understood it correctly correctly you are supposed to use the password created when signing up and not the token you get when logging in?

I have tested now both with the token received when logging in, that only gives 400 response, and with my password instead of the token received I get a 401 response. What am I doing wrong?

You need to use the login token. (The dynDNS “password” is actually an API token and not the account password.)

If you get error code 400, then authentication worked correctly, but something else is wrong with your request. Can you please post the exact command here (mask the token), including the response body? It should contain details on what’s wrong.

~Peter

Thank you, I can confirm it works now. I suspect my rest command wasn’t as correct as I thought. Although I do notice when creating a new domain the API takes a bit of time to reply.

That’s correct, unfortunately.

Actually, creating a new domain only (like example.com) is very fast (you can try it). However, if you create a domain under dedyn.io, we need to change some information in our dedyn.io DNS zone to set up the DNSSEC cryptography properly. As we have a lot of DNS records in that zone, that takes a while, and this is what you observed. - When you create an independent domain, this process does not require adjustments in other places, so it’s faster.

Surely, we are working to improve this in the future. :slight_smile:

~Peter