Struggling to get PTR records working

I’m not experienced in DNS, but managed to move my domain(s) from a now former provider in Denmark (gratisdns.dk) to deSEC. I’m still struggling to get my reverse DNS working. When looking up my IP’s (for instance 194.62.216.91) they are still glued to gratisdns.dk.
Will someone please help me?

Regards, Anders

Hi Anders,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to deSEC! :slight_smile:

Have you delegated your IP space’s reverse zone to deSEC (= updated the NS records at your IP registry)?

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you, and thank you for responding :slightly_smiling_face:
That was exactly the hint I needed.
Since I did all the RIPE stuff 4 years ago, I haven’t touched it, so I completely forgot how it works.
Unfortunately I get errors when trying to change the DNS servers for the reverse domain name.
I attached screenshots of the settings at both RIPE and deSEC. Can you see what I did wrong?

Regards, Anders

Hi Anders,

It looks like you entered the full name of your reverse DNS zone into the “subname” field in our web GUI. The “subname” field is only for the subdomain. If your IP space is, for example, 1.2.3.0/24, then you should create the domain 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa and leave the subname field empty.

Does that help?

Stay seucre,
Peter

Hi Peter,

What kind of record should I use, PTR?

Regards, Anders

Hi Anders,

Exactly. You can create a PTR record pointing to the name of the corresponding machine.

For example:

$ dig +noall +answer PTR 212.78.203.116.in-addr.arpa.
212.78.203.116.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN	PTR	talk.desec.io.

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I was really on the wrong path, but finally I understood and got it working.
So many thanks for your help and service.

Best wishes, Anders