DNS-Record SMIMEA

Hello!

Do you plan to support the DNS record SMIMEA?
This is the only one I still need to transfer my DNS to you!

Many greetings

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your message, and welcome to deSEC! :slight_smile:

Quick answer: Yes, we do plan to support SMIMEA in the near future!

In fact, our nameserver infrastructure already does support it. What’s blocking us is that support in dnspython is currently missing (we use this library for input validation). We added SMIMEA support to dnspython and are now waiting for the 2.1.0 release of the library, which is expected mid-November. Once it is out, we’ll deploy it to our infrastructure, and SMIMEA will be supported right away.

I’ll try to keep in mind to update this thread once SMIMEA support is in production.

Stay secure,
Peter

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I can wait for that

Do you have any news yet?

Unfortunately not: The dnspython 2.1.0 release has been delayed. You can follow its progress here: https://github.com/rthalley/dnspython/issues/590

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi,

dnspython 2.1 is scheduled to be released around the end of the year. It will then take a few days until we can do a deployment so that SMIMEA records are available.

Thank you for your patience,
Peter

Hi!

I saw that dnspython 2.1.0 ist already released. When will you update dnssec?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Very soon! Check out the changes in this PR: https://github.com/desec-io/desec-stack/pull/495/commits

Before we can roll it out, we have to upgrade PowerDNS to version 4.4 on all of our secondaries. I am planning to work on this today. Once it’s done, the above PR will be merged and deployed. I’ll give you a heads-up then.

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi @weidnerd,

We have now deployed the new functionality. I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to let us know if you experience any problems.

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi!

The SMIMEA record can be published via the web interface.
I still have one hint: SMIMEA does not yet appear in the selection field for the record type.

Many thanks for the great support.