IDN domains not supported?

Hi,
this morning I wanted to add an older, currently not existing domain name with non-ASCII-Characters - just to test it: тенхумберг.рф But it was not accepted.
Is IDN not supported?
Thank you!

Hi Berthold,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to deSEC! :slight_smile:

IDN domains technically have an ASCII representation, and it is required to do a conversion between the backend and the frontend to make them look nice. We currently have not implemented the conversion, but you can still register IDNs by using the ASCII representation.

The ASCII representation is called “Punycode”, and you can find a converter e.g. here. With this tool, you can find that the ASCII representation of тенхумберг.рф is xn--90aeeb7afyklt.xn--p1ai.

There’s one more thing: I just realized that our API only allows ASCII letters for the top-level domain. This is not by intention, and I created a pull request to fix this. As we follow a 4-eyes policy, the fix will be in effect once it has been reviewed. I estimate that this will be the case early next week, and you will then be able to register IDNs in punycode representation. Sorry to have you wait until then!

Stay secure,
Peter

Thank you!
I can see your changes in the RegExp on Github.
No problem for the delay. It was just a test.

hehe great … :slight_smile: If you have specific needs, feel free to get in touch with us via support@desec.io.

Stay secure,
Peter

Hi Berthold,

The problem has been fixed, and IDNs are now supported (in Punycode representation).

Stay secure,
Peter